A music loving teen with OCD does everything she can to find her way back to her mother during the historic race riots in 1969 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in this heart-pounding literary debut.
Melati Ahmad looks like your typical movie-going, Beatles-obsessed sixteen-year-old. Unlike most other sixteen-year-olds though, Mel also believes that she harbours a djinn inside her, one who threatens her with horrific images of her mother’s death unless she adheres to an elaborate ritual of counting and tapping to keep him satisfied.
A trip to the movies after school turns into a nightmare when the city erupts into violent race riots between the Chinese and the Malay. When gangsters come into the theatre and hold movie-goers hostage, Mel, a Malay, is saved by a Chinese woman but has to leave her best friend behind to die.
On their journey through town, Mel sees for herself the devastation caused by the riots. In her village, a neighbour tells her that her mother, a nurse, was called in to help with the many bodies piling up at the hospital. Mel must survive on her own, with the help of a few kind strangers, until she finds her mother. But the djinn in her mind threatens her ability to cope.
1. All items are non-refundable and non-transferable from the time of purchase.
2. We will send you an email confirmation after you complete the order (eg: “IMAN Shoppe Order #12345 Confirmed”). If you do not receive the email within an hour, please check your spam folder or tab promotions.
3. After completing the order, there are no changes of order that can be made after completing the order. We will deliver the order accordingly.
1. Orders shipped during business days only exclude public holidays and weekends according to Order No (eg: #12345).
2. Please note that shipping charges are calculated based on weight, dimensions and destination.
3. Tracking number will be automatically sent via SMS notification and email from IMAN Shoppe and Easyparcel within 24 hours.
Parcel Problem Policy:
1. If you received any parcel problem kindly submit the report to our Customer Service Unit via this link https://www.imanshoppe.com/parcel-problem. Our team will immediately contact you through email within 24 hours for a new replacement.
2. For unclaimed and returned parcel(s), you can claim the parcel after you have completed the shipping cost for a second delivery within a month. Our team will process the delivery within 2-3 business days.